Want to file a claim for your car insurance? Have a look at the do’s and don’ts while filing car insurance claim and don’t miss out on any one of them.
Getting involved in a road accident is unpleasant. But, it is something many have to deal with. Another thing we must deal with is filing a claim after that. This can be tricky as an incomplete application can get your whole claim rejected. Have you ever wondered what the right thing to do when filing a car insurance claim is? If you have any questions or doubts about the DOs and DON’Ts of car insurance claims, go ahead and read on.
A claim is a consequence of a road accident. The claim process ideally starts at the accident spot. Here are a few things you should do for car insurance claims:
- Inform the police: You have to notify the police if there has been a road mishap. The police will arrive and later a FIR will be filed. Please note that no insurance claim will be entertained without a proper FIR copy in place.
- Inform your insurer without delay: The next thing you must do is tell your insurance provider about the accident without any delay. If there is a huge gap, or, in the case of some insurers, even a delay of 3 days between the time of the accident and the time of the reporting, the claim may not be entertained.
- Click pictures: Most of us have mobile cameras these days. Use the technology to your favour and click as many photographs as you can of the accident spot, the damages on the vehicle and the injuries sustained by the passengers. This will give you a real proof of what actually happened and will help with the claim and legal proceedings (if any) later on.
- Be honest: You have to be honest when filing the claim. Enter the accurate details about the vehicle, the damages and the injuries sustained. Any incorrect data entry can lead to complications in claim settlements later on.
- Speak to your lawyer: This is an important thing to do; keep your lawyer in the loop about everything. If the matter does take on a legal angle, the insurance company will only pay for the costs, but it will be your lawyer who will bail you out.
Now let us look at the things that you must not do during car insurance claims:
- Don’t flee from the accident spot: Never escape from the spot of the road accident, even if you were at fault. Not only is it illegal to do so, but you will also most probably get your claim rejected if you do so.
- Don’t lose your temper: Don’t lose your temper and try to physically assault the other driver whose fault it may have been. Doing this can land you in trouble and make the claim settlement process complicated as well.
- Don’t leave without collecting details: Don’t leave the accident spot without noting down all the details regarding the other person’s third-party insurance information and the names and numbers of the witnesses who can be of help.
Now that you know more about the DOs and DON’Ts of car insurance claims keep them in mind if you happen to be a part of an unfortunate road mishap. This will make the claim settlement process simpler for you.
Want to make a claim? Follow the link given below